We work with you to develop a wealth preservation plan that is effective and reflects your priorities.Many of our clients own businesses, real estate and other assets. We work diligently with our clients to understand their priorities and interests to develop a plan to transfer those assets to family members or to third parties. This might include advising on insurance-based products, the use of family trusts and other structures.
A privately owned business, small or large, is best served in the long run with an understanding of the personal plans and lives of its owners and their families. As such, we advise clients on a personal level about their estate planning and their planning for the succession of the ownership and management of the business.
In recent years, our wills & estates practice has grown to include families and others looking for high quality, practical and effective advice (including related tax advice) concerning estates of themselves and their parents.
Our counsel provides clear, concise solutions in non‐technical terms while maximizing every opportunity with the goal of saving you money – reducing taxation while preserving wealth. Our team at MBS will work together and with your preferred advisors, communicating with you throughout the process to create a comprehensive, reliable strategy that meets your objectives.
Related ServicesOur wills & estates services include:
- Preparation of powers of attorney for both personal care and financial matters
- Freezing of estate assets in order to minimize taxation arising on death
- Establishment of family trusts to achieve current tax savings, maintain control and flexibility in an estate freeze, ensure Family Law Act protection and planning for tax-efficient distributions of assets
- Succession of family businesses
- Preparation of Wills including straightforward wills for families, and complex testamentary plans to resolve problems relating to taxes and family conflict
- Cottage property succession
- Providing for beneficiaries with special needs
- Using life insurance policies in an estate plan
- Asset protection strategies
- Minimizing tax and probate fees
- Charitable planning
- Advice to avoid or control family conflict
- Contentious and non-contentious probate matters
- Estate Administration including advice to estate trustees, attorneys and other fiduciaries
- Estate Litigation
- Guardianship of property and the person, including assistance to develop meaningful management and care plans
For more info, please contact Natalie Schernitzki.