We are writing to provide you with up to date information in relation to the Government of Canada’s response to COVID-19 which may impact you, your family members or your employees:
1. Effective Wednesday, March 18, 2020, the Canadian border will be closed to all individuals with the exception of: CANADIAN CITIZENS, PERMANENT RESIDENTS OF CANADA, U.S. CITIZENS, AIR CREWS, DIPLOMATS, and IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBERS OF CANADIAN CITIZENS;
2. All passengers (including Canadian citizens and permanent residents) boarding international flights to Canada will be screened for COVID-19 and will not be allowed to board if they show symptoms of the virus;
3. All international flights will be directed to Toronto, Montreal, Calgary or Vancouver;
4. Domestic flights and flights originating from Mexico, the U.S. and the Caribbean are exempt from the international flight restriction;
5. Self-isolation for a 14 day period is required for all individuals (including Canadian citizens and permanent residents) returning to Canada from any location;
6. The border restrictions do not apply to commerce and trade;
7. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada continues to accept applications for both temporary and permanent residence;
8. At this point, we do not recommend that any foreign worker currently in Canada leave the country because it is unclear when they will be able to return;
9. Similarly, any foreign workers who are not currently in Canada should attempt to make arrangements to return to Canada before the border closes on March 18, 2020.
© Morrison Brown Sosnovitch LLP, 2020. All rights reserved.